Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to replace a broken tape drive in NetBackup 6.0MP4?

2007-09-13 07:00:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to replace a broken tape drive in NetBackup 6.0MP4?
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 06:44:52 -0400 (EDT)
This is how it plays out:

1. Drive 02 is down: from tpconfig -d:

$ sudo /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpconfig -d
Id  DriveName           Type   Residence
       Drive Path                                                       Status
1   XXXXXXXXXX_02        hcart2 TLD(0)  DRIVE=2
       /dev/st/nh1c0t0l0                                                DOWN

2. Our vendor comes out and replaces the failed drive.

3. We run bp.kill_all and then /etc/init.d/netbackup start:

media-server$ sudo /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpconfig -d
Id  DriveName           Type   Residence
       Drive Path                                                       Status
0   XXXXXXXXXX_01        hcart2 TLD(0)  DRIVE=1
       /dev/st/nh0c0t0l0                                                UP
1   XXXXXXXXXX_02        hcart2 TLD(0)  DRIVE=2
       MISSING_DRIVE:HUM5AB0C31                                         DOWN

Currently defined robotics are:
   TLD(0)     robotic path = /dev/sg/h2c0t0l0,

EMM Server = master-server

4. The new drive shows up in /dev/st:

$ ls -l /dev/st/
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 Sep 13 03:05 nh0c0t0l0 -> /dev/nst0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 Sep 13 03:05 nh1c0t0l0 -> /dev/nst1

5. The question is how do you fix this in NetBackup?

6. The way we currently do it is by deleting the media server from the
    master server with vmoprcmd -delete -devhost <media-server>
    Then re-adding it.
    I am parsing through the docs now but basically if you just:
    a. stop ltid
    b. update the drive via tpconfig
    c. this does not seem to fix the problem

7. What does veritas support say?
    1. stopltid
    2. startltid
    3. but this does not fix the problem either.

8. How do I know this?
    1. fastest way -> try to clean the drive and I get:
    a. error(82) no media/drive available
    2. other way -> no backups or restores will ever use this tape drive

--

This robot is an L700-- I will mention when drives are swapped out of other
types of hardware, such as ones that use ACSLS, I do not see this issue.

This case involves an L700 directly attached using fiber (SCSI) robotic
control.

--

Symantec has some docs but they seem to be pretty outdated:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/259835.htm (4.5)

Anyone here have implemented procedures that are less invasive that
actually work?

Using 6.0MP4 here.

Justin.