Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up SharePoint

2007-09-11 11:39:21
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up SharePoint
From: "Sesar, Steven L." <ssesar AT mitre DOT org>
To: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>, "Leidy, Jason D" <Leidy.Jason AT con-way DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 11:17:03 -0400

That being said, if you have a large SP deployment, site restores will take quite a long time. You *can* script something on the SP side using stsadmin to export the sites to .DAT files, then use a filesystem backup to grab them. Otherwise, you're going to need to restore the entire database, then restore the site. If you need to perform doc-level restores, it will be even more time-consuming.

There are third-party backup applications which perform document-level backups of Sharepoint - caveat emptor. They all rely on an extremely slow  and inefficient API that MS is not going to fix, as it would require a substantial rewrite of their 2003 code. In 2007, there is a way to leverage recycle bins, in order to facilitate doc-level backups, but I don't know offhand the details of that.

===================================

   Steven L. Sesar
   Lead Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
   UNIX Application Services R101
   The MITRE Corporation
   202 Burlington Road - MS K101
   Bedford, MA 01730