Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Media Changer Utility for Solaris

2007-09-11 11:18:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Media Changer Utility for Solaris
From: selwyn <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 08:01:23 -0700
Tim your idea worked.  I was able to load a tape and move it from one drive to
the next drive using a combination of tldtest commands and mt to offline the
tape.  I think tldtest may support offlining the tapes as well but I have not
tested this feature.

The syntax is as you described--use echo to send command to tld test.  This is
not quite as clean as the HP-UX mc utility but it will work.

Symantec article describing how to use tldtest from the command line is 266221.

The script is used to configure drives in a library at a remote site.  The
script creates the map of where the drives are located in the tape library and
matches this up with the device files and feeds the information to tpconfig to
set up the drives.

I looked at mtx and it could work, but it will require use of the sgen driver
with solaris which may or may not work with NBU.  I prefer to stick with the sg
driver as this is supported by Symantec.