Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape encryption

2007-09-05 23:47:08
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape encryption
From: "Len Boyle" <Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com>
To: "Cruice, Daniel (US - Glen Mills)" <dcruice AT deloitte DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 23:22:27 -0400

Hello Dan,

We have been working with netbackup client encryption and decru encryption.

We use the netbackup encryption option without compression. So the tape drives (lto-2 and lto-3 could not compress). I believe that the netbackup client can also compress the data, but we have not tried this.

We found with some of the intel based systems (windows and linux) with lots of spare cheap cpu power at the time the backups run, we did not see a slow down. But with Unix multi use boxes we see a slow down.

With decru I believe that we saw a very small drop in thru-put compared with the backups without the decru. But this might be because without the decru box we tested fc tape drives attached to a netapp box. With the decru box we had the fibre connections running thru a fibre switch and the decru box.

There a third option that we have not tried.

The latest sun/stk and ibm tape drives  will do the encryption.

We have been told that the ibm lto-4 tape drive will compress the data then encrypt it. The compress with the lto-4

tape drive is turned off block by block if the block will grow in size with compression. Same as the earlier lto tape drives.

You should not see any slow down with this option.

len