Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] ntfs errors and FlashBackup

2007-09-04 15:06:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] ntfs errors and FlashBackup
From: "Leidy, Jason D" <Leidy.Jason AT con-way DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 11:48:03 -0700

I recently started using the FlashBackup feature of the Advanced Client to backup our Windows file servers. I’ve noticed that on 4 of the 6 servers I see ntfs errors in the event logs right when the backup starts. If I force the policy to use VSP as opposed to VSS then the issue goes away, however using VSP creates snapshot errors so I’d rather use VSS. Here is what I can tell you:

I’m using 5.1 MP6

This never happened before they were in a FlashBackup policy (we still used NetBackup)

All 6 servers are about as identical as you can get, within reason (OS version, patches, hardware, etc.)

The volumes do not need to have chkdsk run on them, though we’ve done it anyway

The backups are still good on the volumes that are getting the ntfs errors (I’ve successfully restored and read the data)

Anyone run into this? I have a case open with Microsoft and they have asked me to apply a VSS and ntfs.sys hot fix, which I will do.

Jason Leidy

Con-way Enterprise Services

Windows Server Group

503-450-3958