Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] rsync and SSH between production and lab

2007-08-29 16:43:46
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] rsync and SSH between production and lab
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Stump, Bob A" <Bob.A.Stump AT fnis DOT com>, <Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:26:23 -0400

Start the rsync FROM Prod and TO Lab.

That way your Prod server needs to have keys for your lab server but not vice-versa.  (I’m assuming you’re doing this using ssh.)

That is instead of running on the Lab server:  rsync prod:/path /path

Run on the Prod server:  rsync /path Lab:/path

rsync can use remote or local in both the source and the target so you don’t have to let the lab folks initiate it – you can initiate from the Prod machine.

Here we have no problem allowing Prod to be “trusted” by dev/test machines but we do NOT allow Prod to trust those machines.  This means we can push whatever we want from Prod rather than allow pulls from Dev/Test.   The theory being that Prod would have a much smaller cadre of users.  If Prod were hacked we wouldn’t be as concerned where they went from there because that would be the worst.  Conversely if Dev/Test is hacked we would not want someone to then suddenly have access to Prod because we’d been dumb enough to allow trust from those machines to Prod.

If you’re doing PCI this would be a requirement I would think.