Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup failing - VERITAS

2007-08-20 22:51:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup failing - VERITAS
From: Hunter_Thompson <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:28:23 -0700
Hi everyone. Not sure if I am posting in the right place, sorry if not.

I am having some problems with a backup job on Veritas Backup Exec. One failed
backup a week for past 4 weeks.

Failed backups =

20/08/2007 - Error             : a00084af - The directory or file was not
found, or could not be accessed.
14/08/2007 - Error             : a00084af - The directory or file was not
found, or could not be accessed.
10/08/2007 - Error             : a00084af - The directory or file was not
found, or could not be accessed.
07/08/2007 - Error             : a00084af - The directory or file was not
found, or could not be accessed.
01/08/2007 - Error             : 17 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
26/07/2007 - Error             : a00084af - The directory or file was not
found, or could not be accessed.
19/07/2007 - Error             : a00084af - The directory or file was not
found, or could not be accessed.
13/07/2007 - Error             : a00084af - The directory or file was not
found, or could not be accessed.
09/07/2007 - Error             : 17 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

I suspect a bad tape - seems to be almost same day each failed backup. Called
the server tech, asked how many tapes they have - they have TWO weeks worth,
and have been changing them every morning, they confirmed they are using the
right tapes.

The error: "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)" is reported in the Backup
Exec job log during a failed backup/verify operation

Veritas documentation on this subject suggest dirty heads or faulty medium or
faulty hardware (tape drive).
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/192216.htm

The fact it is one day out of the week kind of cancels the theories of dirty
heads or faulty hardware from my mind, but will try to organise it.  Any
theories / suggestions on how to figure this out?

Thanks!