Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] FS mount parameter mincache and Netbackup

2007-08-20 18:48:08
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] FS mount parameter mincache and Netbackup
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "net backup" <nbuadm AT gmail DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:29:03 -0400

On all of our HP-UX servers 11iv1 and 11iv2 (11.11, 11.23) we use vxfs and use the following options for our Oracle DB filesystems:

delaylog,convosync=direct,mincache=direct,suid 0 0

The convosync=direct and mincache=direct are both important for insuring that the buffer cache is not used for these databases.   The buffer cache actually decreases performance for Oracle DBs because they use their own caching algorithm within the SGA.

In short YES you should make the change they recommended as well as add the convosync option.   We saw a fair performance increase on our databases when we did this a couple of years ago.