Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Problem connecting Quantum i2000

2007-08-20 17:03:08
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Problem connecting Quantum i2000
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:42:17 -0400
> Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 14:46:23 -0400
> [...]
> The following are connected via F/C switch:
> Quantum i2000 Scalar tape library
> 6 tape drives
> IBM RS6000 (Veritas 6.0-mr4 Master server)
>
> The switch is:
> IBM TotalStorage San16B-2 (switch)
>
> Problem: no robot ID to use for making ovpass
>
> Quantum provided one solution (that worked in Veritas 5) no
> scsi address available for ovpass so use the scsi address from rmt0
>
> This seems to work until robtest is used then it becomes
> apparent that there is still a problem- (device mapping)
>
> How do I get the correct address for the robot & lun.
>
> Is this a case that I am using the wrong method or is this a
> case that I am using the correct method but the device mapping
> is not functioning correctly

Hope you have resolved this by now--don't have the time to look through
*70* digests since then, so...

The method that works for me in AIX is to use one LUN below or above
that the ones used by the library's tape drives.  Say the high and low
drives after cfgmgr show up with 'lsattr -El <rmtname>' as

  rmt21:  lun_id 0x22000000000000, scsi_id 0xc0406
  rmt30:  lun_id 0x2b000000000000, scsi_id 0xc0406

and you know that "fscsi2" is the controller (from matching the XX-YY-ZZ
numbers per the Media Manager Device Configuration Guide ovpass
instructions), try lun 21 or 2c, as in:

  mkdev -c media_changer -s fcp -t ovpass -p fscsi2 -w 0xc0406,0x21

You're good if it created a new ovpass instance (say, /dev/ovpass3).
Test by running /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tldtest -r /dev/ovpass3.  If you
see the normal robotic responses, like MODE SENSE COMPLETE, you're done.
Well, maybe do an "s s" to see if the tapes it shows are the ones in the
library you're configuring.

I would never have figured this out myself.  Got the basic procedure
from a _very_ AIX-knowledgeable Veritas support person.