Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup v6.0MP4 update to MP5

2007-08-19 23:37:27
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup v6.0MP4 update to MP5
From: "Len Boyle" <Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com>
To: "Krzys" <krzys AT perfekt DOT net>, "Dominik Pietrzykowski" <dominik_pietrzykowski AT toll.com DOT au>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 23:14:47 -0400
Krzys

be more then one depending on which options you have.

If you are upgrading to a new version of netbackup you have to use the
solaris pkgrm commands to remove the netbackup software from solaris
system. But this process is not the uninstall. For a mp upgrade you
install over the top of the existing 6.0 ga or mpx code.

See the following url  for mp5 upgrade info:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290385.htm

>>From the above doc:

Upgrade scenarios:
   The NetBackup 6.0 MP5 maintenance pack install:
     - Can be applied on top of NetBackup 6.0 GA or any 6.0 MPx (prior
to MP5).
     - Cannot be applied directly to a NetBackup 5.x system. You must
install
       NetBackup 6.0 GA first.
     - Cannot be applied directly to a NetBackup 6.0 MP5 Beta system.
(The
       Beta version of NetBackup must be uninstalled first.)

......other stuff including how to unpack the downloaded bits ...

As root on the NetBackup Master Server:

1) Close the NetBackup user interfaces.
  - Make sure the NetBackup server has no active jobs running (for
example,
    backups, restores, or duplications).

  - If a database agent is being used, such as Oracle, ensure that the
database
    services are stopped.

2) Install NB_60_5_M and NB_CLT_60_5_M Maintenance Pack binaries.

       cd /tmp
       /bin/sh Vrts_pack.install

  NOTE: Selecting the server Maintenance Pack will automatically install
the
  client maintenance pack if the client (CLT) .Z file and the README
exist in
  the installation directory. The server install will fail if the (CLT)
  .Z file and the README are not present and the CLT pack has not been
  previously installed. The client maintenance pack will NOT be
installed
  automatically during a reinstall of the server maintenance pack.

3) The Vrts_pack.install script will prompt you to restart daemons.
  Otherwise, after the pack installation has completed, run:

       /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/netbackup start

4) The pack install logs can be found in /usr/openv/pack/pack.history
once the
  installation is complete.

NOTE:  Again, Symantec recommends that you perform catalog backups after
you
have applied this maintenance pack.

Good luck len

PS if you have data base agents run on client hosts, the data bases do
not need to be stopped for the upgrade.