Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Clean up expired backups

2007-08-13 12:47:04
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Clean up expired backups
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "'Rongsheng Fang'" <unixlifebox AT gmail DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:27:02 -0500
> We are running NetBackup 5.0 MP7 and it has been having problems
> cleaning up the old/expired backups. I looked around and people
> suggested using the following to address the issue:
>
> # touch /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/CLEAN_IN_BACKGROUND
> # /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimage -cleanup -allclients
>
> I also saw people using "bpexpdate -deassignempty -force".
>
> Since our backups run 24x7 CLEAN_IN_BACKGROUND may not find a window to
> run at all. So I am thinking to schedule a cron job to run 'bpimage
> -cleanup -allclients' daily. My questions is: will "bpimage -cleanup
> -allclients" clean up all the old/expired backups which in our case are
> disk-to-disk backups on several different media servers?

Yes, it will clean up on the media servers.  HOWEVER, there are known issues
with the background cleanup process and there is a potential that your
backups will fail.  We ran into it in our environment.

The best alternative is to upgrade to 6.0 - this will cleanup properly.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD
Mounds View, MN, USA