Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: how to backup lots of small files

2007-08-08 15:18:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: how to backup lots of small files
From: TTharp <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 10:51:12 -0700
Yes, flashbackup is the quickest way. We have several servers with millions of
files and I've done a large amount of testing with this. To give you a scenario
of real world example we have a server with ~20 million files (2.5TB total)
that are all JPG images. Executing a normal backup this server ran for 105
hours and was still only about half way complete. We enabled FlashBackup and
ran it, the backup took 30 hours to complete.

30 hours is still not great, but it allows us to do monthly Fulls.

The only problem with FlashBackup is you cannot multistream from a single
volume.