Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Schedule coordination question

2007-08-02 17:34:47
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Schedule coordination question
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 14:18:57 -0700 (PDT)
> This is what I see happening:
>
> The full backup window is 8:00 am Tuesday to 8:00 am Wednesday. Daily
> incrementals run from 6:00 pm to 6:00 am daily.

Because the start windows are different, NBU does not associate these
backups with each other and treats them independently.

> The full backups kick off at the scheduled time. 6:00 pm rolls around,
> and since the fulls are still running, the incrementals queue up. They
> don't actually start running until sometime early Wednesday. Come 6:00
> Wednesday night, some incrementals are still running, and some of the
> Wednesday night incrementals get delayed, and sometimes it takes days
> for everything to get caught up.

Okay.

> SInce there isn't much need to run a full and incremental on the same
> file system at the same time, I'd prefer just to skip the incrementals
> on Tuesday (and Wednesday too, for that matter, since the full backups
> can run into Wednesday sometimes) to avoid this problem.

Why do you have different start windows?

If the start windows are identical, Netbackup will do what you want.

Or, you can take out a day of incrementals that matches up with the
fulls so that they don't kick off that day.  Since you're doing weekly
fulls, that should be pretty easy.