Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Schedule coordination question

2007-08-02 17:32:58
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Schedule coordination question
From: Wayne T Smith <wts AT maine DOT edu>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:19:36 -0400
If the incrementals are in the same policy as your fulls, NetBackup will
do what you want automatically. (Caveat: If the time of day of your full
and incremental windows vary, or you have an incremental frequency
shorter than your window, my statement doesn't apply).

This works with either frequency or calendar-based backups.

I take this one step further on many clients, using calendar-based
backups.

The setup: (1) both full and incremental have identical windows every
day, (2) incrementals are specified as running every day except the day
fulls run on (the exception is optional), and (3) fulls are specified as
running on only their day, but have "retries after run-day" set.

The result: (1) (only) fulls run on the day they should, (2) if a full
fails, it will be retried in lieu of an incremental the next day (and
the next), (3) a full is run first when a client is added to the policy,
and (4) an incremental is run whatever days fulls are not run.  Note:
With "old-fashioned" frequency-based schedules, a new client will run
incrementals until the "full day" is reached.

cheers, wayne