Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Question on Disk-as-Disk Targets NBU 5.1 MP5

2007-08-02 13:06:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Question on Disk-as-Disk Targets NBU 5.1 MP5
From: "Dyck, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Dyck AT cognos DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 12:50:42 -0400
All,
Hopefully I've covered my bases here, I never was that good an English
student (quoting references and such ;). Also I've never had the luxury
of asking the author of a technical book a direct question, but am
hoping Curtis will chime in here.

Quoting Curtis Preston (p. 283, Backup & Recovery, 2007):
"Some backup products require you to point disk-as-disk backups to a
single filesystem. When that filesystem fills up, all the backups fail -
even if there is another filesystem with adequate capacity"

Can I infer that there may be an issue with grouping disk-as-disk
filesystems in a storage unit grouping with Netbackup 5.1?  That'd be a
huge concern of mine...  Is anyone (other poor souls like me who can't
afford a VTL) out there grouping disk-as-disk filesystems for primary
backup?

Thanks,
Jon

PS:
Curtis, I couldn't have found a more exact scenario that I'm facing to
what's described in your couple of pages here on
advantages/disadvantages of disk-as-disk.  I won't list off what you've
written, (at the risk of a lawsuit or something), but I basically
highlighted the entire two sections as exactly applicable to what's
currently happening here - kudos.

     This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information.  If
you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you
may not use, copy, disseminate or distribute it; do not open any attachments,
delete it immediately from your system and notify the sender promptly by e-mail
that you have done so.  Thank you.