Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Has anyone done benchmarking of any sort with..

2007-07-30 10:32:50
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Has anyone done benchmarking of any sort with..
From: "Paul Keating" <pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca>
To: "Dyck, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Dyck AT cognos DOT com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:17:04 -0400
Hey Jon.

Yes, I used this extensively prior to installing the VTL.

I had three media servers, each with a pair of either LTO2 or LTO3 drives, with
MPX=8 on each STU.

All of my clients were separated into policies for clients with gigE NIC
(MPX=2) and clients with 100Mb NICs (MPX=8)

I guess this should be an addendum to my previous description of the behaviour,
but a job from an MPX=2 policy will not run with other jobs on a tape drive if
there are more than one job already on that drive.

If, however, there is only 1 single 100Mb job running (MPX=8) and a GigE job
(MPX=2) queued, they would write to the same drive, as the total MPX would be
2, but if there was already 3 100Mb jobs running, the GigE job would not join.

So essentially, the behaviour I experienced was that the MPX was limited by the
lowest MPX factor.

Paul