Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Converting catalog form Solaris to Windows 2003

2007-07-16 14:14:00
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Converting catalog form Solaris to Windows 2003
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>, <mark.a.goodchild AT bt DOT com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:55:48 -0400
Someone else shared with me offline a tested method for converting the
server from unix to windows or windows to unix.  I'd like to drop my
idea (the unix2dos version) and start discussing this idea.  This one
has actually been used successfully, but the person in question request
anonymity.

So, ASSUMING THE MASTER SERVER NAME DOESN'T CHANGE...

It goes roughly like this:

A. Copy the binary files that are OS & Endian independent.  Use binary
mode ftp to copy the files from the following directories:

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images
5.1:/usr/openv/volmgr/database/volDB
6.0:/usr/openv/db/data

B. Copy the text files that are endian independent, but need to have
proper line termination for the OS they'll be on.  Use ascii mode ftp to
copy the files from the following directories:

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/class
5.1:/usr/openv/volmgr/database/poolDB

C. In 5.1, fix a file that can't be copied over.

5:1 Use tpautoconf -a to re-populate globDB

D. Do not transfer /usr/openv/netbackup/db/jobs.  It is binary, but is
endian dependent, and therefore cannot make the journey from unix to
windows.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies