Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Converting catalog form Solaris to Windows 2003

2007-07-16 04:35:51
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Converting catalog form Solaris to Windows 2003
From: <mark.a.goodchild AT bt DOT com>
To: <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>, <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:19:15 +0100
All

Reading the synopsis of the unix2dos utility this is for text files
*ONLY*

Since NBU 4.5 the Netbackup DB's file files have been created in a
binary format. This is what the command cat_convert was created for. To
convert 3.4 ascii NBU database files to binary. And visa-versa until 5.1
when the utility would only allow the conversation of the images files,
file from ascii to binary.

Using the unix2dos utility will ONLY corrupt the files and make them
unusable.

Taking this into account there is NO UN/SUPPORTED WAY to migrate the NBU
DB files from a unix to windows master server. Especially if you are
going to change the master servers hostname in the process.

The best/safest method is to create a new master server from scratch,
with a different hostname. And migrate the clients to it slowly and
import essential images.

This is supported and you will get help from Symantec when you call.