Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup MP level upgrade for Oracle, must bounce?

2007-07-11 16:09:59
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup MP level upgrade for Oracle, must bounce?
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com
To: Rongsheng Fang <unixlifebox AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:49:49 -0400

If your Oracle is on Solaris, you should not need to bounce the database to do an upgrade.  If on HP-UX or Tru64 you may have to shuddown the database.
At least that worked with 5.1MP6.

=============================
Carl Stehman
IT Distributed Services Team
Pepco Holdings, Inc.
202-331-6619
Pager 301-765-2703
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com

Rongsheng Fang <unixlifebox AT gmail DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

07/11/2007 02:53 PM

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] NetBackup MP level upgrade for Oracle, must bounce?

Hi,

We have a NetBackup 5.0 backup environment which includes a master
server currently running 5.0 MP5 on RHEL and a couple of Oracle database
servers which all have NetBackup for Oracle 5.0GA installed. The
NetBackup patch levels between the master server and the database
servers are not consistent (it's been like this since i got here). So I
would like to bring everything up to MP7. Since we have a dozen of very
critical production databases running on two of the servers I'll be
patching and it'd be almost impossible to bounce these databases all at
once after the MP patches are applied, so I am thinking to apply these
MP patches first and then individually bounce the databases one by one
whenever we get a downtime for them. Here is my question:

What would happen if the Oracle database didn't get bounced right after
the MP patches are applied? Will it still run on the old library or it
will simply break?

Thanks,

Rongsheng

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI"). This Email is intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies. PHI policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email communication. PHI will not accept any liability in respect of such communications.