Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Designing SLAs

2007-07-10 17:01:51
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Designing SLAs
From: "Philip McDougal" <pmcdougal AT calamos DOT com>
To: "Angela Akridge" <angela.akridge AT gmail DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:46:12 -0500
Hi Angela,

I'm also working on finalizing some Backup/Restore SLAs.  I'd love to
hear a discussion about what people think is a good number for % of
successful backups?

Here are a few other service related items I thought might help build a
good backup/restore SLA.  I would use NBU, Aptare and our ChangeControl
reporting in addition to email confirmation to prove the ability to meet
such services.

Of course, I'd love to hear what others are doing!  ;-)

Thank you!
Phil.

Environment: An all windows shop with ~150 clients, 1 master, 2 media
and 1 San Media Server

Services Provided

-       Itemize the servers to be backed up that are covered in this
Agreement (a detailed list may need to be documented in Appendix B:
Backup Clients).
-       Itemize the server software and administrative applications to
be used for system backups.
-       Conduct quarterly audit of the backup system and clients for
addition of new and decommissioning of old clients.
-       Conduct quarterly audit of the backup system and clients for
updating each client's Backup Selection
-       85% daily success rate of backup jobs
-       Randomize 5 test restores a week (DR and Production)
-       Ensure Backup Software and Operating System (on all Netbackup
servers and media servers) upgrades are no more than 3 months behind
their release date.
-       Maximize tape drive and media server resources utilization
-       Tapes from the night before must be offsite each morning by 9AM.
-       Documentation of any policy or client changes
-       Any backup status other than Successful (or NetBackup's Exit
Status 0) must be justified and documented in Aptare
-       Response time to restore requests must be acknowledged in 4
hours and completed in no more than 36 hours.
-       Routine reports of compliance with these SLAs.

Service NOT Provided (If Any...)