Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Question on restore options.

2007-07-10 15:00:39
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Question on restore options.
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: <sander AT humilis DOT net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:48:20 -0400
My understanding from the OP was that he was going to do an alternate
target restore to DEV from a PROD backup.  If that is the case, the
answer to your question is no.

The files he wants deleted were those originally in DEV not those
originally in PROD.   Essentially he's trying to copy one environment
(PROD) over another (DEV) and looking for the most expedient way to do
so.   His comments suggest he wants all the files from PROD to end up in
DEV and wants none of what was already in DEV to be there when done.
He then complained about rm taking way to long (though he didn't mention
if he was trying "rm -rf" from the top level directory or if he couldn't
because he has submounts) so I suggested simply blowing away and
recreating the filesystems because that would effectively "remove"
everything that was there before.