Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Notes DB client

2007-07-09 14:32:19
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Notes DB client
From: Jon Bousselot <jon_bousselot AT sd.vrtx DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 11:18:01 -0700
I use the Notes agent on windows domino servers, and I was not able to
realize any space saving difference between fulls and incremental
backups.  Our mail is retained differently than our other systems, so we
just budget for a certain amount of tapes to stay in the NotesDB tape pool.

The backup policy is created and managed using the NB gui.  It uses a
notes.ini file on the client to find and backup all the .nsf files on
disk, as well as necessary transaction logs.  The documentation from
veritas is accurate, and there isn't much else I needed to do to make it
work.  Since the .nsf files look like regular files to the non-db
policy, I had to exclude the mail directory from the filesystem backup
or I would be getting duplicate data.   I have limited experience with
the RMAN agent, and when we did use it, the policy was set so the job
could be initiated from the oracle database server.

Doing a restore is as simple as selecting the backup image, and
redirecting the files anywhere on a client running Domino.  More notes
options appear in the window before you click restore files.   Since NB
does not have a notes mailbox backup agent, you must put the whole file
back down, and for some of our users, that is a 9GB file.

We do backups during off hours, and get really good throughput.

-Jon