Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1 media server catalog

2007-06-26 14:29:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1 media server catalog
From: "Stump, Bob A" <Bob.Stump AT fnf DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 13:10:50 -0500
Dear fellow NetBackup laborers,

It's been awhile since I've participated in this forum, but I would like
some opinions on DR for a large enterprise environment that simply has
too many media servers to list all of them in bpsyncinfo.

I am proposing to do the following for backing up the catalog
information in NetBackup 5.x media servers:

1. Remove the file lists for the media servers from the bpsyncinfo.
2. Create a single standard NetBackup policy for all UNIX media servers
   /usr/openv/netbackup/db
   /usr/openv/volmgr/database
   /usr/openv/var
   /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf
   /usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf
   /usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_*
   /usr/openv/netbackup/include_*
3. Create a single windows NetBackup policy for all window media servers
   C/Program Files/VERITAS/Netbackup/db
   C/Program Files/VERITAS/volmgr/database
   C/Program Files/VERITAS/var
4. Create a bpsyncinfo that would only include the master catalog files

This is kind of like the 2 tape system for backing up large catalogs as
described in the NetBackup Sys Admin Guide. I think this should be OK
because in a disaster scenario the master server will be bprecovered
first. Then, if the media servers are one of the master server's regular
backup clients then it would have all the information it needs to be
able to restore the catalog and special files to the media servers as
its clients.

Bob Stump