Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] SAN Media server question

2007-06-26 12:58:55
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] SAN Media server question
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:38:01 -0700 (PDT)
> Guys running Netbackup 5.0Mp7 on solaris 9 environment.
>
> I have a master server connected to L700 via fibre through a SANBOX2
> switch to robot and 6 drives.
>
> The master server has 2 HBA's ( as i believe Sun impose a limit of 3 *
> LTO2 drives per 2GB HBA ).

That's probably more of a performance suggestion.  The system won't fall
over if you have connectivity to more than that, just don't try to
stream them all.

> I have 2 SAN Media servers ( DB nodes ) each connected via the switch to
> the first 3 drives which are shared.
>
> I am adding 2 extra drives and another SAN Media server.
>
> Question is :-
>
> Using robtest i will see the extra drives in the L700 once added but i
> cant add these drives to the Master server as i have already hit my
> limit of drives / HBA. The new media server will be connected through
> the switch to the 2 new drives and will have the devices set up. The
> query i have is how does the master server ( which is the robot
> controller ) able to put the tapes into the drives for use with the 3rd
> Media server? As i wont have the devices and thus /dev/sg paths set up
> for these new drives on the master. Im unclear as to how this will
> work.

If you use the wizard for setup, it will use the serial numbers on the
drive, and will know that the drives attached to the other machine are
in particular positions in the robot.  No problem moving the tapes
there.

The master server doesn't need /dev/sg paths for the drives it's not
using.  It just needs to tell the robot to put a tape in that slot.