Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Encrypted backups of already encrypted data

2007-06-25 18:32:35
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Encrypted backups of already encrypted data
From: Kathryn Hemness <cckat AT reality.ucdavis DOT edu>
To: Jeff Lightner <jlightner AT water DOT com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:12:02 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks, Jeff.

My assumption was the same.  I didn't think that NetBackup would bother
to perform any checks to see if a file was already encrypted.

My question was prompted from one of my clients.  I don't have any way
of knowing if any of my backup clients are encrypting their disk filesystems
or partitions.  I certainly hope my clients haven't purchased a NetBackup
encryption license knowing their systems were already encrypting data.

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Jeff Lightner wrote:

> Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 14:10:44 -0400
> From: Jeff Lightner <jlightner AT water DOT com>
> To: Kathryn Hemness <cckat AT reality.ucdavis DOT edu>,
>      veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
> Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] Encrypted backups of already encrypted data
>
> I'm assuming it wood.  The NBU encryption method and keys would not
> necessarily be the same as those used for the original data.
>
> The question is if the data is already encrypted why would you want to
> slow down your backup by encrypting it again?

--Kathy