Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] 3rd Party Support

2007-06-22 13:12:29
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] 3rd Party Support
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Wayne T Smith" <wts AT maine DOT edu>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:52:29 -0400
Well the benefits of 3rd party as I see them:
1) Typically cheaper.
2) They have more reason to want to help you if their main business is
support and you're not the largest NBU installation.

As noted Datalink DOES escalate to Symantec as needed.   This isn't
really a lot different from going from level 1 to level 2 to level 3
with direct support.  In fact so far as I can tell the level 1 we have a
Datalink is more like level 2 at Symantec and they escalate directly to
level 3 so we actually save cycles.

In general however I agree with you - it is usually better to get
support from the people who made the product.   Our support for our UNIX
stuff bears this out in my mind but unfortunately I don't make those
decisions.  The downside though is those companies usually do many
things so trying to get to "the guy" that can help you is a lot like
pulling teeth.