Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Aptare and NBU not reporting properly ...

2007-06-15 16:25:42
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Aptare and NBU not reporting properly ...
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com
To: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 16:04:06 -0400

Greetings;

I worked with Aptare Tech support, and I believe we have solved the problem.  Solved by installing a new "aptare.jar"  file on the master
server.  For some reason the old version was not updating the job details for all jobs,  We'll see what happens over the week.end.

Carl

=============================
Carl Stehman
IT Distributed Services Team
Pepco Holdings, Inc.
202-331-6619
Pager 301-765-2703
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com

ckstehman AT pepco DOT com
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

06/15/2007 11:13 AM

"Philip McDougal" <pmcdougal AT calamos DOT com>
cc
veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu, veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Aptare and NBU not reporting properly ...

Thanks

I hope I can get the missing detail info corrected.  I think it is causing some other problems like occaisionally missing a failed backup.

So far they are stumped on my issue, but are working on it diligentlty,

Carl

=============================
Carl Stehman
IT Distributed Services Team
Pepco Holdings, Inc.
202-331-6619
Pager 301-765-2703
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com

"Philip McDougal" <pmcdougal AT Calamos DOT com>

06/15/2007 10:54 AM

<ckstehman AT pepco DOT com>
cc
<veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>, <veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Subject
RE: [Veritas-bu] Aptare and NBU not reporting properly ...

Hi Carl,

We are an all Windows shop so it may (or may not) be related to Win2k3 server.  I have a feeling that issue I was seeing (and the one you seem to be seeing as well) is stemming from an issue somewhere between the NBU Job Details and the point where Aptare gathers that info FROM NBU.  The odd thing is , it’s happening to only 1 client.  I would have expected to see it from a lot more.  This client isn’t even unique.  It has 160GB of storage with about 700,000 files, no big deal.  I have many more clients with similar specs that are reporting just fine.

I hold 90days worth of NBU info so Support thought it may have been the large amount of data I have that needs to be pulled into Aptare.  So when I was working with support, they had me replace the bpdbjobs.exe with a replacement that would knock that info down to 24hrs. Well, they gave me a replacement file that was for Unix not windows so obviously when the jobs ran again, errors started appearing (the 0 Bytes and NULL values).  After trying again with no success, I reverted back the bpdpbjobs and associated files and things were normal for a few days; even the one client that was reporting the wrong amount of data seemed to be cured.  Then I upgraded (thinking this might help stabilize things) and the 0 / NULL values for the JOBIDs started to occur again.  I have a feeling that there was some resident evil lurking, and when I upgraded and restarted the services, it appeared again.

Support was very quick to respond to my request yesterday and I have some good techs working on the issue.  It looks like the issue of 0 or NULL valued JOBIDs has stopped and it looks like it appeared only after the upgrade and my restarting the Aptare and Oracle services.  Unfortunately, my Aptare database is filled with these bogus jobs so Support wrote a sql script to run in Oracle that will remove them from the database so my reports and dashboards don’t look like a sea of red.  With my second go of Support, I have received some superior help and advice.  I truly applaud their efforts in trying to help solve my issue.

So far, the upgrade has been fine after that initial issue.  I’m still monitoring it but will let you know if I see any other issues or benefits.

Hope that helps Carl.

Phil.