Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] [ORACLE] Policy Naming ... Best Practices ?

2007-06-14 15:28:51
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] [ORACLE] Policy Naming ... Best Practices ?
From: "Steven L. Sesar" <ssesar AT mitre DOT org>
To: Jeff Lightner <jlightner AT water DOT com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:11:45 -0400
Our stakeholders don't care about which component of a backup failed -
they (at least around here) care about failures and resolving any issues
around failures. It would be nice if libobk would have hooks into RMAN
which would perform exception handling.

The problem that I have with your analogy, is that NBU accurately
reports and records job status for everyone, but "BillyBob Oracle".
Therefore, it would be reasonable to expect that job status would be
returned correctly for "BillyBob".

The way that it is now, an Oracle backup kicked off via the NBU
scheduler, can fail, while returning a status 0. It's bad enough that
NBU doesn't have an alerting mechanism, but furthermore, NBU would never
report the job as having failed, nor could an operator watching the job
summary window in the GUI.

As an end user, I expect a backup product to accurately return the exit
status of a backup job. I don't think that's too much to ask for. So, it
requires a bit more coding to interface with RMAN. Easily accomplished -
we wrote one.

Just my $.02

Jeff Lightner wrote:
> NBU isn't terrible at determining RMAN success/failure - it simply
> doesn't do it.  RMAN by its nature is client initiated.  NBU cares about
> the actual transfer to storage unit.  RMAN cares about the end to end
> process so of course should be the tool that determines the
> success/failure.   More than once I've seen RMAN fail before it ever got
> to NetBackup.
>
> It would be much like telling me I have to deposit all the money I
> receive form cashiers then asking me where the $10,000 that BillyBob
> absconded with instead of turning it into me went.  I'd have no clue
> because BillyBob didn't do his part.  The best I could do is say "I
> never got anything from BillyBob."  At that point you would want to see
> me arrested rather than tracking down BillyBob simply because I'm in
> easy reach.  You'd still be out the money but would feel happy because
> you'd found a scapegoat  :p

===================================

   Steven L. Sesar
   Lead Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
   UNIX Application Services R101
   The MITRE Corporation
   202 Burlington Road - MS K101
   Bedford, MA 01730