Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] [ORACLE] "Net Service Name (TNS Alias) ...

2007-06-10 04:56:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] [ORACLE] "Net Service Name (TNS Alias) ...
From: "Wilkinson, Alex" <alex.wilkinson AT dsto.defence.gov DOT au>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 16:36:29 +0800
Hi all,

Certain behavior in NB6.0-MP4 is confusing me and I really want to know
conceptually if I have the following correct.

What I thought was meant to happen:

  * Within the NB GUI I am at the point of connecting to the required DBs.
  * I am to login with an account that has SYSDBA privs
  * I am to provide a TNS alias name

  Now, my issue is with respect to the TNS alias name. I was always under the
  impression that the TNS alias name is derived directly from where it is
  defined. In my case: $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/listener.ora

  e.g. #grep HOST $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/listener.ora
       (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST =
myoracleclient.dsto.defence.gov.au)(PORT = 1521))

However, if I use myoracleclient.dsto.defence.gov.au as the TNS Alias in the NB
GUI, it just plain old does not work. And I will get an error stating:

   "ERR - Unable to connect to mydb
    Error code 12514"

However, if I use 1 out of the 4 $ORACLE_SID names it works!

I am starting to suspect I should be getting the TNS Alias as such:

     #grep SERVICE_NAME $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora

      (SERVICE_NAME = db1.dsto.defence.gov.au)
      (SERVICE_NAME = db2.dsto.defence.gov.au)
      (SERVICE_NAME = db3.dsto.defence.gov.au)
      (SERVICE_NAME = db4.dsto.defence.gov.au)

So in the end I have it working, but I really want to know conceptually where I
am meant to derive the TNS Alias from ? Anyone ?

Cheers

 -aW

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence
Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES ACT
1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact
the sender and delete the email.