Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Exagrid?

2007-06-08 02:52:38
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Exagrid?
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 02:32:46 -0400
I haven't used them personally, but have had plenty of briefings with
them.  Their target market is the mid-tier and they do reduce the amount
of disk you need by using delta-differentials.

This is related to, but different than, de-duplication.  Think of a
range of technologies where typical compression is at one end (2:1,
etc), and de-dupe is at the other end (20:1+).  Delta differentials are
somewhere in the middle.

It appears that they're a pretty inexpensive disk target.  There may be
boxes that are faster and bigger, but you appear to get a pretty good
bang for the buck with them.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Author of O'Reilly's Backup & Recovery and Using SANs and NAS
VP Data Protection
GlassHouse Technologies