Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Decommissioning NBU 5.1 Environment

2007-06-06 16:56:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Decommissioning NBU 5.1 Environment
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 15:05:54 -0400
I'm about to begin the process of decommissioning our old NBU 5.1 environment which was 3 Windows 2000 servers.  My goal is to replace three servers and a massive library, with one server with the catalog and a smaller library that can do restore requests until we decommission the entire thing next year.  My current plan is the following.

Build new <MASTER> server and attach new smaller library / make sure its functioning. (same name as OLD MASTER)
Backup the <OLD MASTER> Catalog and Restore it to <NEW MASTER>
Take <OLD MASTER> and <OLD MEDIA>x2 Offline
Configure <NEW MASTER> to handle restores for <OLD MEDIA>x2 as alternate host.

Anyone see any issues with this working?  Its fairly easy to go back should any of this fail so I figure there's not a lot of risk, but I'd rather not had to mess around with it too much if someone here has any insight.

Thanks,

-Jonathan