Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] REQUIRED_INTERFACE Problem?

2007-06-06 14:59:42
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] REQUIRED_INTERFACE Problem?
From: "POUSSARD, Gilles \(INFOTEL\)" <gilles.poussard AT airbus DOT com>
To: "Weber, Philip" <Philip.Weber AT egg DOT com>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 16:24:01 +0200
        Hi,

        First, for me REQUIRED_INTERFACE clearly only works for client
initiated backups  and not master initiated backups.

        Secondly, I tried to backup a W2003 client through the backup interface
in NBU 5.1 and it works. Master speaks to the media server through the LAN
production network and tells the media server to backup the client whoses name
is the backup network name ( -bk ). The media server then speaks to the client
and introduces itself as the media server-bk name . This name is in the server
list of the client. The client seeing that media server-bk speaks to him answer
to the media server through his own -bk interface. So the backup and restore go
to the -bk network and all is well. No needs to change the routing table.

        Next, I tried the same thing on a NBU 6.0 MP4 environment, and this
time, the behavior is different despite routing tables and hosts file are the
same
The master presents always to the client as the LAN name and not the -bk  name.
Then , the client answers to the master through the LAN name and not the -bk
name. I was obliged this time to modify the route table on the client to force
the client to reach the LAN adress through the -bk network.

        I don't understant why this behavior. I opened a case to Symantec.

        But for me , you shouldn't be forced to modify your routing table to
pass backup througput to your -bk network.

        Everybody has other experiences ??

        Thanks

        Gilles POUSSARD