Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Upgrade Strategies

2007-05-29 23:33:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Upgrade Strategies
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "'Sturgis, Grant'" <Grant.Sturgis AT arraybiopharma DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 22:00:45 -0500
The general rule of thumb is to always do as few changes as possible to
minimize the risk of things going seriously wrong.  As long as 5.1MP6 is
supported on RHEL 2.1 (I assumed you've checked - I haven't), you're taking
the right approach by upgrading to 5.1MP6 first.  Once you have that upgrade
complete, let it stabilize for a while then build up your new system.
There's really no catalog migration - you can rsync the /usr/openv tree to
the RHEL 4 system - shut down the RHEL 2.1 system, change the RHEL 4 system
host name back to what the original system name was, and then re-run the
device configuration setup.

Don't try and change names on your master during your migration - that will
just get you in trouble.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP