Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Trouble getting tape drives recognized on Linux Server running SLES9

2007-05-29 14:26:54
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Trouble getting tape drives recognized on Linux Server running SLES9
From: "Robin Small" <Robin.Small AT fresno DOT gov>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 11:07:14 -0700
quick way to tell is in /proc/scsi/

If the emulex cards are listed there in one way or another, then I'd
think the drives would be loaded.

as an example, with my qlogics:
# ls -l /proc/scsi/
dr-xr-xr-x    4 root root 0 May 29 11:05 .
dr-xr-xr-x  392 root root 0 May 11 10:00 ..
-r--r--r--    1 root root 0 May 29 11:05 device_info
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root root 0 May 29 11:05 qla2xxx
-r--r--r--    1 root root 0 May 29 11:05 scsi
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root root 0 May 29 11:05 sg

#  ls -l /proc/scsi/qla2xxx/
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x  2 root root 0 May 29 11:06 .
dr-xr-xr-x  4 root root 0 May 29 11:06 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 0 May 29 11:06 1
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 0 May 29 11:06 2
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 0 May 29 11:06 3

>>> Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com> 5/29/2007 10:56 AM >>>
Looks like you need to load the driver first?  The tape drives are
hooked
up to a fiber mesh/network or directly to the tape drives?  If they're

hooked up to a fiber network you need to zone the drives.

On Tue, 29 May 2007, ZIMMER, RANDY K [AG/1000] wrote:

> The following:
>
> [0:0:8:0]    enclosu DP       BACKPLANE        1.05  -
> [0:2:0:0]    disk    DELL     PERC 5/i         1.03  /dev/sda
> [0:2:1:0]    disk    DELL     PERC 5/i         1.03  /dev/sdb
> [2:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  Dell     Virtual  CDROM   123   /dev/sr0
> [3:0:0:0]    disk    Dell     Virtual  Floppy  123   /dev/sdc
>
> Thanks,
>
> Randy Zimmer
> Sr. Unix System Administrator
> Monsanto Enterprise Infrastructure Team
> Office:  314-694-3109
> Mobile: 314-960-0500
> rkzimm AT monsanto DOT com

Linux Server running SLES9

> Hi,
>
> What do you get from "lsscsi" command?
>
> If you run Qlogic HBA you could run "scli" and scan the buses for the
drives
> to see if the zones are correct.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hampus Lind
> Rikspolisstyrelsen
> National Police Board
> Tel dir: +46 (0)8 - 401 99 43
> Tel mob: +46 (0)70 - 217 92 66
> E-mail: hampus.lind AT rps.police DOT se

Linux
> Server running SLES9
>
> Does the host see them?
>
> cat /proc/scsi/scsi
>

> On Tue, 29 May 2007, ZIMMER, RANDY K [AG/1000] wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I need some pointer on how I get my tape drives recognized by my
Linux
>> server running SLES 9.  We are trying to add a Linux server into
our
>> environment as a Media Server and am having difficulty getting the
OS to
>> recognize the tape drives.  I have open support call with Novell
and
>> Symantec and am getting nowhere fast.  Any ideas would be
helpful...

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Randy Zimmer
>> Sr. Unix System Administrator
>> Monsanto Enterprise Infrastructure Team
>> Office:  314-694-3109
>> Mobile: 314-960-0500
>> rkzimm AT monsanto DOT com

> -----------------------------
>> This e-mail message may contain privileged and/or confidential
> information, and is intended to be received only by persons entitled
> receive such information. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please
> notify the sender immediately. Please delete it and all attachments
from any
> servers, hard drives or any other media. Other use of this e-mail by
you is
> strictly prohibited.
>>

>> All e-mails and attachments sent and received are subject to
monitoring,
> reading and archival by Monsanto. The recipient of this e-mail is
solely
> responsible for checking for the presence of "Viruses" or other
"Malware".
> Monsanto accepts no liability for any damage caused by any such code
> transmitted by or accompanying this e-mail or any attachment.

> This e-mail message may contain privileged and/or confidential
information, and is intended to be received only by persons entitled to