Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Restoring windows NBU backup to Linux/UNIX using GNUtar

2007-05-28 19:06:16
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Restoring windows NBU backup to Linux/UNIX using GNUtar
From: "Rockey Reed" <rockey_reed AT symantec DOT com>
To: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>, "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 15:34:02 -0700

Curtis,

You won’t be proven wrong unless someone does some serious voodoo and all the planets and starts align exactly right.  Even so the process would not be repeatable.  Not to get real technical, but the reason is the way the file systems are written, NTFS verse any other FS equals no reliable restore.  LINUX is backed up with a STANDARD policy, and Windows is backed up with the WINDOWS-PC  policy for a reason and that was in the previous sentence.

Now you may restore LINUX to a FAT partition and have some luck, but I haven’t really tested it, so YMMV.

Thanks,
Rockey J. Reed
You're not obligated to win. You're obligated to keep trying to do the best you can every day.  Marian Wright Edelman