Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DSSU & Catalog Backups

2007-05-21 09:53:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DSSU & Catalog Backups
From: "Snyder, Nicholas A." <Nicholas.Snyder AT ngc DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 09:30:02 -0400

Win 2003 Master/Media server 5.1 MP6

Over the last few months my master server has had issues with backing up the catalog.  From looking at the bptm.log, it looks like NetBackup doesn't "wait" long enough after the DSSU duplication jobs complete prior to initiating the catalog backup.  What results are generally some form of crazy errors.  Everything from tape not found, robot not ready, tape not a catalog tape.  This doesn't happen regularly, maybe once or twice a month.  Catalog backups are configured to run after user/scheduled backups complete.

After the NetBackup 'scheduled' catalog backup fails, I can manually run a catalog backup to the same media without issue.  So, I really believe it's a scheduling/coordination issue between the de-staging jobs and the catalog backup job.

Any suggestions for a workaround/fix?
Thanks!

Nick Snyder
System Administrator