Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Newbie to Netbackup using VTL

2007-05-15 09:09:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Newbie to Netbackup using VTL
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 09:09:54 -0400

I use Storage Unit Groups and used to use "Any Available" but IMO that's
a sad representation of load balancing akin to "round robin" DNS load
balancing.  What I would like to see is NBU limiting the number of jobs
that a device can handle per max speed as opposed to per number of
streams as it is now.  If I had two LTO3 100MB/sec drives w/ 4
concurrent mpx and I kicked of 8 jobs in the order of GigE / 100F / GigE
/ 100F the 4 GigE jobs would be running on the same drive at 25MB/sec
and the 4 100/F jobs would be running at 40MB/sec total on a drive that
can accept another 60MB/sec.  I know this is a gross over
simplification, but I don't think its a terribly hard concept to
implement.  Replace the current Max Streams for Storage Unit (DSU/DSSUs
included!) and replace it with a Max MB/sec and you'll see real load
balancing.  I know there's technical hurdles (like jobs not running at
consistent speeds) but that's what Symantec pays software engineers for
;)

-Jonathan