Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] MP4 Re: Taking the plunge to upgrade from 5.1 MP4to

2007-05-14 13:19:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] MP4 Re: Taking the plunge to upgrade from 5.1 MP4to
From: ddunham at taos.com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 10:19:03 -0700 (PDT)
> I believe the talldoode comment was about the dreaded vmquery
> -deassignbyid command, which can definitely shoot you in the foot. In
> recent versions, the command is still there, but it complains if you use
> it.

It does more than complain.  It does not process the request in many
situations.  Undoubtedly safer, but there are situations where it is the
right tool for the job, and where I am not yet certain of a good
workaround.

But then there are quite a few dangerous commands.  I'm just not certain
why anyone would be running -deassignbyid as opposed to any other bad
thing.  I don't recall seeing that command mentioned in the manuals as
something to do in any particular situation.
--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com