Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Newbie to Netbackup using VTL

2007-05-11 18:27:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Newbie to Netbackup using VTL
From: Robin.Small at fresno.gov (Robin Small)
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 15:27:47 -0700
Not sure if you've picked your VTL unit yet..

We're using the ADIC (now Quantum) Pathlight VX for our VTL. Mostly, it's
sharing out virtual LTO3s to our four NetWare cluster servers (with some nifty
linux master scripting to track the mounted volumes) and two Oracle 9i RAC
servers.

The Pathlight handles the virtual-to-physical connection automatically and the
barcodes are consistent between the virtual and physical, so I can plug it into
a physical autoloader and it'd be the same).

We're not doing multiplexing on ours as it's primarily there to handle data off
of our SAN. I do have just a bunch of locally attached disk (and a fc-attached
jbod with linux software raid) set up as a dssu for our slower 100meg lan-bound
boxes.

I think the way you've described your clients-to-drives setup, I'd go with
fewer virtual drives unless you need all of these clients to act as their own
media server (and back themselves up), or if you *have to have* them all
writing at the same time.