Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Newbie to Netbackup using VTL

2007-05-11 15:50:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Newbie to Netbackup using VTL
From: liddles at amgen.com (Liddle, Stuart)
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 12:50:50 -0700
NO....Don't use Vault to duplicate from VTL to physical tape!!!

We tried this, and in NB 5.1 MP6, Vault is a HOG!!  We were not able to keep
the drives spinning fast enough using Vault.  The best speeds we saw going
to physical tape using vault was maybe 30MB/sec.  Usually we got around
10MB/sec or less....which is definitely not a good thing.

What we ended up doing was using the built-in feature of our NetApp VTL to
do the cloning of the virtual tape to physical tape.  Now we are getting
much better performance of around 50 - 60 MB/sec.

The problem is that Vault has way too much overhead in doing the copying of
the data.  It's kind of like this:

-- you have one firehose coming in (data from the VTL)
-- you have another firehose going out (data to the physical tape drive)
-- then you have to empty the incoming firehose into a bucket and look at it
and then pour that bucket into the other hose going out.

With the built in cloning function of the VTL, you just connect the two
firehoses together and the data gets written from virtual tape to physical
tape.

--stuart (backing up over 200TB per week to VTL) liddle