Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Exchange Mailbox Backup

2007-05-10 16:18:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exchange Mailbox Backup
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 16:18:07 -0400
I'd tell you I've got the magic voodoo over here Paul, but then you'd want it.
And If I'm gonna give up the goods I'd better get dinner and dancing first. =P

Our Exchange Fulls running by themselves over GigE to a DSSU sitting around
doing nothing else does about 100MB/sec, until it hits the logs.  Even then,
its very fast but the average time rounds out to 80MB/sec, still respectable.
My fastest backup until that point was a Redhat 3 /  Oracle 9 Database at
55MB/sec (give or take Archive logs.)  In my Exchange case, the secret has been
number of spindles and drive speeds on the SAN.  We did serious I/O testing on
the Exchange server's storage and went for performance all the way.  I think
each storage group and logs are their own 8 disk raid5 w/ 146GB 15K FC drives
in a Hitatchi SAN.  Surprisingly, I got a Sun StorEdge 5320 running remote NDMP
backups to LTO3 at 100MB/sec first try, yesterday!  That was purely test data,
and it remains to be seen if it will maintain that after we load up terabytes
of data.  (I don't manage the SAN or the NAS, so all my secret sauce is
definitely someone else's.)

I haven't done a brick level backup of Exchange since I learned about Recovery
Storage Groups, and that was on Arcserve, or whatever it was called before CA
bought it.  That was the 90's and all my memories from the 90's are bad, so
lets not go there.  I have to admit I've never run BSD.  Sounds like fun, and
the devil logo has definitely got it going on!  Silly penguin.

-Jonathan