Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Taking the plunge to upgrade from 5.1 MP4 to 6.0 MP4

2007-05-10 15:17:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Taking the plunge to upgrade from 5.1 MP4 to 6.0 MP4
From: talldoode at cox.net (Dave)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 12:17:55 -0700
Read all of the replies and had to laugh. 90% of the problems that came with
6.0 were because people didn't do their upgrades correctly and didn't RTFM
before pulling the trigger. They can only blame themselves, but hey, much
easier to blame the software instead of going to your boss and telling him
what you did wrong.

The upgrade from 5.x to 6.0 is very straightforward provided you read and
understand what you are doing. The main/critical/important thing is to make
sure your catalog is completely, 100% clean before you upgrade so the new
EMM database will properly populate. This means you are running the NBCC
utility, sending the data to Symantec Support, doing what they tell you to
do, running NBCC again, sending output to Support etc (or having Consulting
come help you). You may have to go back to support a number of times to get
this done but it will be worth it. The extensive use of command line
functionality without knowing what you are doing is the main reason for the
catalogs being out of sync for what it's worth. Some of the things I read on
this list about "oh, just do this to expire that pesky tape" makes me
cringe.

Symantec has provided a Portal that has information about what you MUST do
to upgrade to NBU 6.0 MP4.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285223.htm

Read the docs on the portal, understand them, do what they tell you to do
and you will be one of the many NBU customers who are running excellent
software with minimal problems. My recommendation - go to 6.0 MP4 now, learn
the new features and get yourself ready for the features of 6.5 MP1 when it
is released sometime in the Fall. (I never recommend jumping on software
till the first MP is released by that is just me).

My .02.

d.