Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP and encryption

2007-05-07 17:04:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP and encryption
From: Len.Boyle at sas.com (Len Boyle)
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 17:04:55 -0400
The only methods that I know of are to do the encrypting in hardware.

You can use an external box inserted between the NDMP device and the tape
drive. For example a DECRU box now owned by netapp. There are others.

Or you can do it in the tape drive. The latest stk (sun) and ibm tape drives
support hardware encrypting of data.

See http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/21429.wss     for info on
the ibm lto-4 tape drives.

HP and quantum lto-4 tape drives should also support this. I just did not check
if they are announced.

len