Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] New technote for Windows NetBackup Masters

2007-04-30 19:06:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] New technote for Windows NetBackup Masters
From: cpreston at glasshouse.com (Curtis Preston)
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 19:06:52 -0400
Wow, Jeff...  I didn't see anything aimed at anyone personally until
your message.  I saw my message that says I don't think Windows systems
should be master or media servers, and I stand by that with one caveat
(below).  I saw a message pointing out a feature that had a very
negative side effect.  Then I saw your flame back to the mean Unix
people for pointing out this side effect, and it even included a comment
aimed at me personally.

At the risk of completely wasting my time, I will clarify these two
messages (only one of which came from me).

1. Unix master & media servers should be on Unix/Linux

I tell everyone that if they're a mixed Unix/Windows shop, their master
servers should be on Unix/Linux.  And frankly, I believe they should be
on Linux.  If they're an ALL Windows shop, then they should stay on
Windows.   But if they grok Unix, then you can do far more with a
Unix/Linux media server than you can with a Windows one.

This isn't so much of an indictment against Windows as it is an
acknowledgment that the predominance of NBU customers use Unix/Linux
masters, and that most of the tools that come out of this user community
will be written with an assumption that they will be used on Unix/Linux.
(The admin that wrote the question, for example, could just use the
scripts he/she was given.)

If you want to "use what works," then use perl or shell tools.  They're
easily available on this list, they're easily supported by people on
this list when they have a minor problem, and they really do the job.
If you can't use them on a Unix/Linux server where they started, then
you should do what I suggested to him and install Perl on Windows.  I
really doubt he's going to find someone on this list who can help him do
with vbscript.

And, yes, without going into it here, I see a number of technical
advantages of Unix/Linux master media media servers over Windows media
servers.  Here's just a few off the top of my head:

* Raw device access for disks and tapes
* tape library and tape drive manipulation from the command line when
things are broken in netbackup
* Process lists that are long, easy to read
* bpgp -- it's my favorite, unadvertised tool in NetBackup, and it's not
available in Windows NBU
* don't have to install security patches every other day and often
reboot in order to install them
* don't have to run virus software on my backup server

What advantages do Windows NBU servers have over Unix NBU servers?
Other than familiarity for an all-Windows shop, I can't think of any.
How is this disrespect to Windows admins?

2. This "feature" of automatically reinstalling things is a problem

All the person did was send a message that pointed out a feature of
Windows that could cause your backups to shut down without any notice.
While I agree that the reinstall of critical files is a nice idea, if it
causes my backups to shutdown without any notice to me, that's NOT a
good idea.  I can't believe that your post basically defends this
practice.

I'm sorry you're not going to buy my book.  It's actually got a lot of
really cool tools for Windows folks in there.  I explain how to backup
Exchange, SQL Server, and do bare metal recovery of Windows -- all
without buying a single commercial backup software product.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Author of O'Reilly's Backup & Recovery and Using SANs and NAS
VP Data Protection
GlassHouse Technologies