Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SATA disk backup performance

2007-04-28 08:06:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SATA disk backup performance
From: jlightner at water.com (Jeff Lightner)
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 08:06:58 -0400
One thing that will help your performance on CX700.   Be sure each RAID
group has all its disks bound to a single SP.   We had mistakenly been
alternating SPA/SPB on the theory that two paths in would increase
performance.   It turns out that the ATA drives unlike the Fibre drives
have only one connection so each time you write to the RAID group it
would have to trespass for every other write.    We modified our config
to alternate the RAID groups rather than the disks (half the RAID groups
bound to SPA, the other half bound to SPB) and have seen increased
performance on tape backups and restores since doing that.

Off topic P.S.  Does anyone but us do RAID 1_0 across buses (multiple
enclosures) on CX700?   EMC and Unisys always seem surprised when BCC
failures/replacements cause transitioning of disks even though their
internal documents now correctly state that is the expected behavior.
For over 2 years EMC tried to "troubleshoot" this transitioning and it
was only late last year we finally got someone at EMC to point out the
Primus information that shows it is designed that way.   I just wonder
if this is so atypical a configuration that it wouldn't be well known in
the organizations that support CX700?