Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle backup with or without Advance Client

2007-04-19 02:07:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle backup with or without Advance Client
From: priatna.saputra at sun.co.id (Priatna)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:07:34 +0700
This paragraph was taken from Oracle9i RMAN user's guide:
The benefit of performing multilevel incremental backups is that RMAN
does not back up all blocks all of the time. _/Since RMAN needs to read
all of the blocks of the datafile, full backups and incremental backups
take approximately the same amount of time./_
Incremental backups at levels greater than zero only copy blocks that
were modified. The size of the backup file depends solely upon the
number of blocks modified and the incremental backup level.
---

Using Advance client and enable BLI along with oracle backup type to
take incremental backup:
Does it reads the entire file or only read the blocks changed? I'm
asking in term of "read" the files during backup.
I understood that in term of backup, it only backed up those blocks that
have been changed.

If the using of Advance Client/BLI within oracle incremental backup
still read the entire file during the backup, what is the benefit of
using Advance Client??