Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bptm: read error on media id AB1234, Cannot allocate memory

2007-04-17 11:15:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bptm: read error on media id AB1234, Cannot allocate memory
From: bob944 at attglobal.net (bob944)
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:15:13 -0400
> 04/16/2007 19:04:26 - Warning bptm (pid=4728) read error on media id
> AB1234, drive index 1 reading header block, Cannot allocate memory
>
> Anyone ever get this when trying to a restore? How did you fix it?

What buffer size was used to record the backup, how many buffers are you
using for the restore, and does the media server have enough shared
memory to handle it?

The bptm log should show all the buffer allocations and shared-memory
allocation.  Does that show a problem?  Do you have
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_RESTORE set?  Remember, the restore is going to need
the number_buffers times the size_buffers as they exist on tape.

For that matter, can the media server's tape device driver handle the
buffer size?  Untested restores after buffer size tuning, especially
with Windows drivers, run into this all the time--though I don't
remember the error message.  Also, restoring a foreign tape which has
bufsize that was fine on the original environment can run into the same
thing--yet another good reason not to use "hey, what's a good
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS to use for LTO3?" advice.

Workarounds:
o  shm settings
o  driver update
o  is there an environment in which you can duplicate the image to disk
or tape with favorable buffer settings, and restore from the copy?
o  dump the tape and see what the files and records look like--perhaps
it was overwritten