Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Virtual Tape library or backup to disk

2007-04-11 10:34:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Virtual Tape library or backup to disk
From: KrugerC2 at telkom.co.za (Clem Kruger (C))
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:34:09 +0200
Good day Dan,

My personal recommendation would be to stay away from any VTL and
rather use the DISK to DISK to tape feature which is part of version 6
of NetBackup and even stronger in 6.1. The Veritas (Symantec API) has
been released and is currently being included in most of the hardware
vendors. See the attached link.

The one thing that really has me worried is that VTL's emulate a
library and tapes and are subject to those rules. There is also an
issue as far as compressing is concerned as this is generally done by
the VTL's operating system and slows down your backups dramatically.
Many other rules change as VTL's generally require a single stream per
tape. You are also liable to pay for tape drive licenses etc.

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid5_gci1
229879,00.html

Regards,

Clem Kruger