Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP performance tuning on LTO 3 drives

2007-04-06 11:59:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP performance tuning on LTO 3 drives
From: Rajmund.Siwik at conexant.com (Rajmund Siwik)
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 08:59:46 -0700
Dwayne,

I have exactly this setup  plus some three way backup too.
SSO works perfectly, I can't complain at all.
I share drives between filer only as I do not have standard backups.
I have not tuned anything. It would be nice if it is possible.

Overall average speeds from Netbackup I see as 40-70 Mbs.
But this is not a true speed as NetBackup start timing when it requests
NDMP dump. However NetApp builds snapshot first and this can take few
minutes depending on your filer. NDMP dump when it start is slow at
first but after a while it reaches peak speeds of 120-130 MBs.
How fast it can dump data to a tape depends on what kind of data is
being dumped: binary data with small number of files is blazingly fast
whereas dump of millions of small files is quite slow.

--Rajmund