Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Howto check the approx. available space on a tape?

2007-03-29 09:37:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Howto check the approx. available space on a tape?
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:37:27 -0400
There's no way to tell exactly how much more data a single tape will
hold, since anything better than 100GB (in your example) is compression
and compression varies by file type.  We run LTO3 here and I've got
everything from 500GB to 950GB on a 400/800 LTO3 Tape.  The best thing
you can do is try and figure out what your average tape holds and then
use that as a ballpark figure.  I haven't run this in a while but my
full tapes average about 700GB.

-Jonathan